Even though Mason Farm is part of the larger Baity Hill Community, and many of the features and floor plans are the same, there are a few differences between the two:
- Mason Farm is geared only toward graduate students sharing apartments as roommates, as opposed to Baity Hill, which is geared toward students with families.
- There are a few furnished apartments in Mason Farm.
- Mason Farm offers roommate units, meaning two graduate students who may or may not know one another can live together. Roommate units have rates broken down into pricing per room (unit A or unit B).
You must be a full-time graduate student to live at Mason Farm.
Please note: Effective January 2016, Mason Farm no longer accepts applications for postdoctoral fellows. This decision has come with careful deliberation within our department. Our primary reason for discontinuing this program is because our leases always end in May. More often postdoc fellowships end between December and February and/or their departments lose funding and they are forced to move. In the past, we’ve made murky exceptions to try to accommodate the postdoc schedule. However, what we’ve found is often times we have to turn away students in the summer and fall because we are full, then an apartment that would have been occupied by a student is now vacant for several months because a post doc has vacated prior to May. By doing this, we have not been able to provide the best service to incoming students.
We have 1BR/BA (724-768 square feet), 2BR/1BA (850-954 sq. ft.) roommate and 2BR/2BA (1050-1150 sq. ft.) roommate apartments.
Mason Farm does offer a select few furnished apartments. These configurations include 1BR/BA (724-850 sq. ft.), 2BR/1BA (850-954 sq. ft.) and 2BR/2BA (1050-1150 sq. ft). These furnished apartments are available at a higher monthly rent price.
If you choose one of our unfurnished apartments at Mason Farm, we allow you to bring your own personal furniture, just as off-campus apartment communities do. Each apartment does have a dishwasher, a refrigerator and washer and dryer hookups. Each building features laundry facilities for residents without their own washer and dryer. The 1BR/1BA & 2BR/2BA apartments are usually filled quickly so you may have to choose apartment type over building location.
- Visit the Room Styles section for more photos and details.
While most apartments at Mason Farm are unfurnished, we do offer some furnished apartments. These configurations include 1BR/BA (724-850 sq. ft.), 2BR/1BA (850-954 sq. ft.) and 2BR/2BA (1050-1150 sq. ft.). These furnished apartments are available at a higher monthly rent price. Furnished apartments include:
- Full-size bed
- Dining room table
- Coffee table
- End table
As with the unfurnished apartments, our furnished apartments each have a dishwasher, a refrigerator and washer and dryer hookups. Each building features laundry facilities for residents without their own washer and dryer.
Visit the Room Styles section for more photos and details.
Please refer to our Rates page for updated costs.
- Leases at Baity Hill/Mason Farm run from June 1st (or actual “Lease Start” date) through May 31st.
- The “Lease Start Date” is the date that your lease and rent will begin. The Move In date is the date that you actually complete your move in appointment and keys are issued.
- Once you have agreed to a “Lease Start” date, this is the date your lease will begin, even if you choose to move in at a later date. These dates may be the same or they may be different.
- Monthly rent due on the first of each month and late after the 5th day of the month.
- We offer a summer extension or summer bridge (placing a hold on an apartment by paying reduced rent for June and July) option upon request.
- Subleasing is not permitted.
Some Mason Farm apartments have roommate units, where two graduate students who may or may not know one another can share the apartment. This is done to try and meet the high demand for these apartments. Each bedroom has a lock for privacy. For these apartments, rates are broken down into pricing per room (unit A or unit B). Contact us at 919-843-8831 or email@example.com with additional questions.
No, pets other than fish are not allowed.
- Applications are accepted year-round, and apartments are leased on a first-come, first-reserved basis. The application approval process begins when we have received the completed application and the application fee of $200.
- You will need to submit an online application through the Housing Portal at myhousing.unc.edu. You must have valid Onyen and PID number to submit an application. (UNC ITS ONYEN services)
- You will also need to submit the required documents listed below:
- A photo ID for all household members 18 years and older (i.e. driver’s license, passport, visa, military id or if a current student, student id.)
- UNC acceptance letter or current class schedule.
- All documents must be professionally translated into English.
- Once your application and documents have been received, we will place you on the waitlist in the order the application was received.
- Once you have submitted your application, we will contact you via email or phone within 48 hours.
- We will begin assigning incoming students to available apartments as of April 1.
- We will assign apartment based on an available apartment that best fits your preference(s).
- A confirmation letter of this assignment will be sent to you via the email address on the application. The confirmation letter will give you information regarding the specific apartment that has been assigned, lease start date, monthly rental rate and pro-rate amount, if applicable.
- Upon acceptance of the apartment, the lease will be prepared that will state your “Lease Start” and sent to you for review. Please sign and return all documents to our office ASAP.
- Once the lease has been signed by the student and returned to our office and the 1st months’ rent or pro-rate rent is paid, a move-in appointment will be scheduled. If you are unable to make the scheduled appointment you must contact the management office immediately to reschedule your appointment.
- We do not do move-ins on Saturdays or Sundays. Please make your appointment between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. A member of our staff will complete the move in orientation with the student (lease holder) which will take approximately 30 minutes. Upon completion of this appointment you will be issued keys.
- Only the student may sign the lease and be issued keys!
Electricity, including heating and AC, water, basic cable TV service, local phone service, and high speed internet access are all included in the rent. If you do choose to utilize the laundry facilities on-site, you will have to pay using your OneCard. Although covered parking is available, it is not included in the rent.
Yes! Covered parking is available underneath each building at Baity Hill/Mason Farm, however, parking is not included in the rent. Contact the UNC Department of Public Safety to apply for a parking permit. Each apartment is guaranteed one parking space per apartment for an additional cost. Residents will need to obtain a parking permit from the Parking and Transportation Services Department. Roommates will only be given one (1) parking spot and are not eligible for additional parking spaces.
The RU “Reverse Campus Shuttle”, N, and CM routes have several stops adjacent to Baity Hill/Mason Farm, offering convenient service almost every 15 minutes throughout the day. The U “Campus Shuttle” route is located across from the other Baity Hill stops and will run every 15 minutes throughout the day.
Baity Hill/Mason Farm is located on south campus near the Dean E. Smith Center. The Baity Hill office is located in the Baity House, atop the hill of Baity Hill Drive. The address is 1503 Baity Hill Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514.
- From the North: Take US-15 501 south. After Manning Drive, turn right on Mason Farm Road. Turn right onto Baity Hill Drive. The office is atop the hill.
- From the South: Take US-15 501 north. Do a U-turn at Manning Drive. Turn left on Mason Farm Road. Turn left on Baity Hill Drive. The office is atop the hill.
- From Campus: Take Columbia Street / Pittsboro Street south past Manning Drive. Turn left on Mason Farm Road. Turn left on Baity Hill Drive.
- Via Campus Bus: Take the RU (“Reverse Campus Shuttle”) bus to the Family Practice parking lot off Manning Drive. Baity Hill at Mason Farm will be on your right at the top of the stairs.
Yes! Simply call (919) 843-8831 or stop by the Baity Hill office at 1503 Baity Hill Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514. You can tour a model apartment home, as well as see your new home, provided that your unit is available anytime Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. -3:00 p.m.