Welcome to Kenan Community—known for its grassy quad, spacious study lounges, beautifully decorated common areas, and inviting porches complete with wooden benches and rocking chairs for those warm spring days.
Kenan Community can be described as possessing three elements—excitement, energy, and close proximity to all you could ever ask for, including classes, the Student Union, and the Franklin Street downtown area with shopping and dining establishments. The Kenan Community staff, also known as Team Kenan, hosts many fun events each year including the Kenan Karnival, International Thanksgiving, and Screen on the Green.
Kenan Community houses about 450 residents per year and includes four buildings—Spencer, Alderman, McIver, and Kenan.
- Kenan Hall is an all-female residence hall with three floors and the main Community office inside. It is situated on the Kenan quad and is the central hub for the community.
- McIver and Alderman are also located on the quad and offer co-ed housing amongst the three floors. McIver also houses the vibrant Women Experiencing Learning & Leadership (WELL) Residential Learning Program.
- Spencer Hall is located across the street from the Kenan quad, bordering the Coker Arboretum; in fact, Spencer is the only residence hall that resides on Franklin Street.
- The location of Kenan Community offers students a full range of cultural and educational opportunities by providing close proximity to academic buildings, libraries, Battle Park, Playmakers Theatre, the Coker Arboretum, Franklin Street, and more.
- Community nickname(s): SMAK (Spencer, McIver, Alderman, Kenan)
- Region of campus: Northern
- Time to walk to the Pit: 7 minutes
- Style of buildings: Hall
- Community office location: Kenan
What Tar Heels are Saying
“Kenan is not only beautiful, scenic and well localized, but also welcoming. Kenan feels like my home and reminds me of why exactly the residence hall experience is so singular. I don't live in just any dorm - I am a part of a community that is more and more like my family each day.”
-Andrea, McIver resident
“The location is wonderful, of course, but my favorite thing was and still is the incredible people I meet.”
-Haley, McIver resident
“Kenan is a very tight-knight community. The RA staff and CD work super hard to make this place feel like home, and I know, at least for me, that my hall is my haven.”
-Megan, McIver resident