Carolina Housing works to provide convenient housing that is safe, inclusive and supportive. We strive for students to experience a welcoming home in our on-campus communities, build life-long friendships and develop skills for their current and future success as they journey through their Carolina experience.
In order to develop the potential of every individual in our community, we provide programs, spaces, and experiences that promote a sense of belonging, adaptability, and understanding of difference. We seek to respond to student needs regardless of their background and identities.
We aim to maintain residential facilities that are safe and secure. We educate students through programs which promote students to live safely and promote emotional well-being.
With care and compassion, we place students at the center of our work and engage them in educational activities, roles, and relationships that support success and foster growth.
We take innovative approaches to balancing our tradition with progressiveness and providing comfortable living and learning environments and interactions. We strive to be efficient and effective users of resources.
As the department continues to enact its strategic plan, the residential students of UNC Chapel Hill will have…
- World-class residence hall environments that blend modern features of home with the traditional elements of a historic campus.
- Dynamic administrative systems that balance efficiency and consistency with flexibility and responsiveness to individual needs.
- Consistent access to services and amenities regardless of which hall they choose to live.
- A residential experience created to be the best value and greatest benefit for the cost.
- Phenomenal educational opportunities and services that provide:
- Access to multiple paths to academic excellence and success
- Opportunities to develop leadership, interpersonal, intercultural, and other critical life skills
- Safe and inclusive communities that create space for the exploration of self and social justice
Equity, Inclusion and Access
Promote equity, inclusion, and access through the implementation of initiatives that foster safe and respectful environments for all students.
Provide educational experiences that foster a sense of belonging, student success, personal growth and community engagement.
Flexible and Equitable Systems
Employ flexible and equitable systems and services within the university framework in order to meet student and staff needs
Offer high quality facilities that balance the sustainability needs of residential buildings with the evolving demands of innovative and world-class students.
Development of Staff
Commit to the development of all staff to maintain the quality of services we offer and enhance the overall student experience in the residence halls.
- Equity, Inclusion and Access
- Employ effective practices to better serve residents who are members of marginalized groups
- Enhance resources and support that help staff and students create inclusive communities in the residence halls
- Employ effective practices to recruit and retain diverse staff
- Educational Experiences
- Innovate our approach to residential education towards modernizing student success
- Foster encouraging and welcoming learning environments
- Grow and strengthen partnerships throughout campus
- Flexible and Equitable Systems
- Continue to improve the assignment process
- Upgrade residential services such as laundry, technology services, and enhancements
- Strengthen the effectiveness of software platforms and operational tools
- Quality Facilities
- Increase the accessibility of the residence halls
- Improve the quality of individual resident rooms
- Create unique indoor and outdoor spaces for residents
- Development of Staff
- Develop departmental onboarding, training and resources for all staff
- Enhance communication strategies within the department
- Pursue opportunities that promote intradepartmental connection