Imagine a career environment that is friendly, collaborative, innovative, rewarding and rooted in strong tradition. As a professional in the Department of Housing and Residential Education, this is exactly what you’ll find...and only the beginning of all you’ll discover.
Here, in what has been called America’s most beautiful college setting, we offer real growth opportunities, comprehensive benefits and exceptional careers to professionals in a diverse and challenging environment. At the same time, the quality of life offered by Chapel Hill and the Triangle area ensures that life beyond work more than matches the professional rewards of working at Carolina.
Working as a student affairs professional at UNC-Chapel Hill may be one of the most challenging and fulfilling commitments you can assume. Through this unique opportunity, you will receive a broad-based, skill building experience that will enhance your abilities in interacting with others, balancing commitments, and increasing your cultural and current issues awareness.
We invite you to take advantage of this opportunity to be part of a close community of friends and learners.
- View job description and hiring timelines for Community Directors
- View our Organizational Chart (in the Related Files section below)
- View our Student Blog
- Learn about our catchphrase: "Community Immersion"
The Department of Housing and Residential Education is committed to fostering an inclusive work and living environment through a culture of trust, growth, and collaboration. We promote equity, education, and advocacy through developmental opportunities that explore individual identity and personal growth. Our goal is to incorporate multiculturalism into the various facets of our departmental guiding principles:
- Develop and encourage opportunities for all staff to gain cultural awareness, enhance skills and increase investment in each other and the university community
- Maintain residential facilities that support each and every student by offering inclusive, accessible, and welcoming environments which enhance the on campus experience
- Promote inclusive hiring and recruitment practices that fosters a diverse work environment
- Advocate for equitable and transparent policies and procedures in our daily practices
Student Centered Learning
- Create co-curricular educational opportunities that empower students to take ownership over their personal growth and develop skills to navigate an ever-changing global society
"The role of the Department of Housing and Residential Education at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill is to help our students succeed. We accomplish this with the overriding philosophy of Community Immersion. Simply stated, we provide opportunities for residents and staff to connect with themselves, each other, the campus, the Carolina culture, the community, and ultimately the world around us. The more we understand ourselves and others, the better we are able to support our students.
Our students come from various diverse background, cultures, and communities. They are of different races, religions, ethnicities, sexual orientations, genders, abilities, and socio-economic status. They bring with them a multitude of perspectives and experiences to be further developed and shared.
We must reflect who our students are. We must emulate what we want our students to be. We must support and encourage the exploration of our differences. This is who we are, and this is who we seek in building our team... Those dedicated to and reflective of our values, our vision, and our team."
The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University reaffirms its commitment to equality of opportunity and pledges that it will not practice or permit discrimination in employment on the basis of age, gender, race, color, national origin, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or sexual orientation.