Need Help Moving Items?
Do you need help moving some items from your room to your Winter Break Housing space? Thanks to the amazing volunteers from The The Chapel Hill/Carrboro Mothers Club, help with moving your stuff is as easy as sending an email, making a phone call or sending a text!
Please send the following information to Mrs. Lynne Privette - who's daughter is currently a Sophomore Tar Heel - via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or at (919) 491-9901
- Your name
- What Residence Hall you are coming from
- Preference for dates to move
Mrs. Privette will then confirm with you as they will have some volunteers standing by for various days.
UNC Police Building Walk-Throughs
Each year UNC Police officers conduct periodic walking tours in residential buildings over the extended break period to provide additional security for residents approved to remain on campus. We want to make you aware of this since you may see them in your building in the next few weeks.
During these walk-throughs, UNC Police Officers will close any unattended doors found open and assist in identifying any other safety issues (i.e. open windows, etc.) to provide safety during a time when fewer students and staff are on campus.
As a reminder, we always have a Community Director on Duty for ongoing support. You may request this individual at any time by calling 919.962.8100.
We appreciate your continued cooperation and understanding as we work to keep our campus community as safe and healthy as possible during this time. Please take care of yourselves.
Student Affairs Support
During winter break, on-campus services hours may be limited. Visit the department's website for additional information and updated hours of operation: https://studentaffairs.unc.edu/winter-break-hours/.
The following departments affected will be:
- Campus Health: Campus Health and CAPS Hours of Operation will vary. Check here for the latest updates. Any time Campus Health or CAPS are closed, patients can receive 24/7 support by calling the main numbers to reach Healthlink or CAPS 24/7.
- Campus Rec: All facilities are closed from Dec. 10 to Jan. 2.
- Campus Y: The building will be closed from Dec. 11 to Jan. 3.
- Carolina Dining Services(CDS): Dining halls are closed, but a variety of other on-campus dining locations will be open during limited weekday hours, such as The Beach, which offers The Beach Grille, Chik-Fil-A and other options. Options for local delivery partners and some on-campus operations are also detailed on the CDS website.
- Carolina Housing: Residence Halls will be closed from Dec. 11 at 10 a.m. to Jan. 8 at 9 a.m. Resident belongings may remain, but will not be accessible. Ram Village Apartment residents are allowed to remain on campus in their apartments.
- Carolina Union: Closed to the public over winter break starting Dec. 13 with modified hours starting Jan. 3. The Carolina Together Testing program will continue through Dec. 22 (excluding weekends) in the Art Gallery.
- Chapel Hill Transit: Check their website for possible route and schedule changes over the break.
- New Student & Family Programs: Closed from Dec. 24 to Jan. 3.
- Student Wellness: Closed from Dec. 20 to Jan. 10.
- UNC Student Stores: UNC Student Stores are currently maintaining standard hours, which are 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., during weekdays and 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. on weekends.
Out & About: Things To Do
Wondering what's there to do during Winer Break while staying on campus? You have lots to choose from!
The Student Affairs Division has created a website page dedicated to several Resources and Events.
In addition, UNC Community Relations has also created a list of upcoming events! Below is a full list of Things To Do:
- Saturday, December 11th, 2021: Residence Halls close for Winter Break at 10am.
- Friday, December 24th – Thursday, December 30th: University Closed: Offices will be closed, but CD On Call and UNCPD will still be available for assistance.
- Saturday, January 8th, 2021: Residence Halls reopen for Spring 2022 at 9am.
- Monday, January 10th, 2022: First Day of Classes for Spring 2022
Important Phone Numbers
There will always be a Community Director on Duty for ongoing support during Winter Break. You may request this individual at any time by calling 919.962.8100.
Visit the Carolina Dining Services web site for a full list of dining choices and Winter Break Hours of Operation.
UNC PolicePublic Safety Building
285 Manning Drive
Campus Box #1600
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
- Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Phone: 919-962-8100 (for emergency, dial 911)
- Web site: https://police.unc.edu/
For the most recently updated Winter Break Transportation news, please visit the UNC Parking & Transportation web site by clicking here .
And, here are some quick references for your transportation needs:
All transit agencies will have service adjustments for Winter Break. Use the links below to stay connected with transit news.
- Point-to-Point (P2P): TransLoc app
- Chapel Hill Transit: Service updates or Twitter
- GoTriangle: Service alerts or TransLoc app
- PART Express: Notifications or TransLoc ap
Add Your Name to the List
The Chapel Hill/Carborro Mother's Club may be able to coordinate some holiday meals or outdoor doggie visits to students remaining on campus for Winter Break Housing. If you would like to be added to a list for that, please send:
- phone number
to Mrs. Lynne Privette - who's daughter is currently a Sophomore Tar Heel - via email: email@example.com or at (919) 491-9901
Mail & Package Centers Hours
Winter Break operations are in effect from Saturday, December 11, 2021, through Sunday, January 9, 2022.
If you are living on-campus, continue to use your academic year mailing address. During this time, all mail and packages are delivered to Morrison Package Center (MPC).
Unless you are living on-campus during this time, please refrain from sending mail to your on-campus address until January 10, 2022 when all three Package Centers are open.
Morrison Package Center (MPC) is open with the following special hours:
- Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 3 PM
- December 13 – 17
- December 20 – 23
- January 3 - 7
- Closed on weekends and University holidays:
- Thursday, December 24, 2021 through Sunday, January 2, 2022
Regular operations for the Spring Semester resume Monday, January 10, 2022.
For more details, check out it out on our web site: https://housing.unc.edu/live/resident-resources/mail-packages/