Spring Only Housing

Spring Only Housing

Applying for Spring housing

If you are interested in moving on campus for Spring semester only, visit the Housing Portal beginning in early November to submit your application. 

Making changes to your Spring housing

Spring semester is the time of year when roommates may be leaving to study abroad or graduate, and we understand some of you may want to make changes to your housing assignment as a result. You have several options available to you.

Please find your particular situation below and follow the accompanying instructions:

If you are graduating or going abroad…

The good news is that if you’re studying abroad in the Spring or graduating in December, there’s no housing cancellation penalty for you.  All you need to do is:

  1. Let the Housing office know you are leaving by emailing housing@unc.edu. The deadline to notify us changes from year to year and will be posted here when it is available.
  2. If you’re studying abroad, please attach a copy of your acceptance letter in the email, or bring a copy to the SASB North office in person.

If you are canceling your housing for any other reason than study abroad or graduation, the standard contract terms apply.

If your roommate is moving out…

  • You could buy out your double room as a single. You would pay one-half (½) of what your roommate would have been charged.  For example, suppose you currently pay $2760 for a double space; to buy out the other space in the room you’d pay an additional $1380. If you would like to make a buyout request, you will need to email housing@unc.edu by November 15. Submitting a buyout request does not guarantee that your room will become a single. The Housing office will notify you if your request can be honored. 
  • You could pull in a new roommate. As the person who has the empty space in the room, you do not need to take any action. But you should encourage your future roommate to contact their Community Director to request a room change by November 15.
  • You could request to move to another room. To move to a new room, you will need to contact your Community Director to request a room change. Assignments will process those room change requests at the beginning of Spring semester with a move date no earlier than November 15.
  • If we do not hear from your nor receive any requests for the empty space in your room, Housing may assign you a roommate.

If you want to move to a different room…

To move to a different room for Spring semester, you will need to contact your Community Director to request a room change by November 15. If you are requesting to move in with a specific person who you know has a vacancy, note that you are the one responsible for taking action; the person who has the vacancy does not need to take action. Assignments will be issued in early December.