The Room Reassignment Portal launched in January 2017. This new system is designed to assist current residents/students who want to change rooms/residence halls.
This is different than the room refinement period that is offered in the summer for those wishing to tweak a housing assignment prior to the Fall Semester. The Room Reassignment Portal is available year-round.
What You Need to Know
- You may have a maximum of ONE individual request and ONE group request active at a time. However, you may modify or cancel these requests at any time.
- Only one member of a roommate group needs to submit a reassignment request for the entire group.
- You may choose as many halls as you’d like, but will not have the ability to rank them in order of preference. Therefore, it is important to only select halls in which you are willing to accept an assignment. If you are offered a room in a hall you chose and decline the offer, your request will be cancelled and you will need to submit a new one that will be added to the bottom of the list.
- Similarly, you may choose as many room types as you’d like, but will not have the ability to rank them in order of preference. Therefore, please only select room types in which you are willing to accept an assignment. If you are offered a room type you chose and decline the offer, your request will be cancelled and you will need to submit a new one that will be added to the bottom of the list.
- Once a space comes available, a student will be emailed a reassignment offer and will have 24 hours to log in to the Room Reassignment Request Portal to accept/decline the offer. Requests will be filled through the rest of the Spring semester and Summer as spaces come available, and will remain in effect after the start of the Fall 2017 term.
Classification: First-year vs. Returning Undergrad
When choosing your classification, please choose the option that applies to what you will be during the term for which you have requested a reassignment. Please note that this is different than your academic classification.
- First-year: In first or second semester here AND UNC is first college attended
- Returning Undergrad: Completed two semesters at UNC OR transferred in after attending another college
Visit the Room Reassignment Portal to make your request. Please note that this is a new system, and that we ask for your patience in the event of a system error.