Moving out of your room can be just as seamless and efficient as moving in with these helpful tips.
Each spring, Carolina Housing partners with the UNC Office of Waste Reduction & Recycling to make it easy for you to donate your unwanted but still usable items. Through the "Don't Ditch It, Donate It!" program, UNC has saved over 500,000 pounds of unwanted items from entering local landfills.
Spring move-out done the Tar Heel Way
This year, when you move out of your residence hall or apartment, drop your gently used items at the collection station in your residential community, and we will donate them to one of our partnering charitable organizations.
By making a conscious choice about how you'll handle your unwanted items at move-out, you become part of a campus-wide initiative to do the right thing and effect dramatic positive change.
Why should I donate?
- Donate for sustainability – With 8,500 students moving out in the same week, it doesn't take long to accumulate a massive amount of waste. Keeping usable and recyclable goods out of the landfill is one of the most influential things you can do to extend the town's ability to sustain the University.
- Donate for the community – Your gently used items provide local residents with access to quality goods at a low cost.
- Donate for local charities – By reselling the items you donate, even at deeply discounted prices, our partnering charitable organizations can generate revenue that helps them accomplish their goals and provide essential services.
How do I donate?
Housing staff partners with the UNC Office of Waste Reduction & Recycling to make the donation process as simple as possible. Attended donation stations will be set up in your residential community—all you have to do is watch the schedule for collection times and drop your items off at your convenience.
- View the list of donation stations by campus community
When can I donate?
All donation stations will open a couple of weeks before final exams, usually in late April. These stations remain available through the move-out period in mid-May. Specific dates vary from year to year so keep an eye out for our "Don't Ditch It, Donate It!" signage.
What can I donate?
- We will accept all still-usable items such as clothes, books, appliances, household items, unopened food, school supplies, electronics, computer equipment, and furniture that is not broken. Bring these items to the donation station in your community.
- Carpets are accepted in any condition. If they can't be reused, they get recycled. Please take carpet to the donation station in your community. It's important to keep the carpet dry for the recycling process, so please don't stick it outside in the rain!
- Futon frames are accepted even if they are not usable. Please take these items outside, beside the dumpster in an area labeled "bulky waste."
- REMEMBER: When in doubt, put it in the donation station! We would rather have to sort items on our end than have valuable items get thrown away because you didn't think they could be reused.
- A complete list of accepted items and instructions for disposal is available on the website for the UNC Office of Waste Reduction & Recycling.
What happens to my donations?
Donations will be separated and picked up by the following charitable organizations:
- TROSA - www.trosainc.org - TROSA is an innovative, multi-year residential program that enables substance abusers to be productive, recovering individuals by providing comprehensive treatment, work-based vocational training, education, and continuing care.
- American Greenz - www.americangreenz.com - American Greenz Inc. is an electronics recycling and IT asset management company headquartered in Durham, N.C. with multiple service locations across the state and partner networks across the East Coast.
- Blue Ridge Recycling - Blue Ridge Recycling is a Charlotte-based company that specializes in carpet and carpet pad recyclying.
Still have questions?
Please contact Debbie Bousquet, Facilities Management Coordinator, at email@example.com
As residents vacate their room either at the end of the academic year or based on a contract cancellation, proper checkout procedures must be completed to avoid additional charges.
Residents who do not complete checkout procedures at their Community Office may continue to be held responsible for all room charges until their checkout date is officially recorded by residence hall staff.
At this time, Carolina Housing does not offer on-campus storage options for personal belongings or furniture. There is a variety of convenient storage options available including off-site storage, services that pick-up and deliver, and even services that will pack and ship.
There are bulletin boards in the residential halls, Campus Y and the Carolina Union where students post messages for sharing expenses associated with storage facilities.
The University does not recommend or endorse any particular storage facility at this time, and all arrangements are made directly with the off-site company.
|Allied Van Lines||www.allied.com||800.444.6787|
|Atlas Van Lines||www.atlasvanlines.com||800.638.9797|
The following information is a summary of information from the local telephone directory. The businesses included in this list are not affiliated with Carolina Housing and are merely provided here for reference.
|A-1 Mini Storage||Junction Road in Durham||919.471.6668|
|AAA Mini Storage||Junction Road in Durham||919.598.6999|
|ABS Self Storage||Between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro||919.929.1133|
|American Self Storage||Hwy 64 towards Pittsboro||919.721.1289|
|Ample Storage Center||Garrett Road between Chapel Hill
|Chapel Hill Self Storage||Eubanks Road in Chapel Hill||919.967.4460|
|Chatharidge Self Storage||Four miles south of Chapel Hill
off of 15-501
|Colonial Storage Centers||Chapel Hill Blvd in Durham||919.489.1300|
|Compass Pointe Self Storage||Exit 153 off I-85 in Mebane||919.246.9408|
|Extra Space Storage||Cary, NC||919-460-3884|
|Farrell's Self Storage||McGhee Road in Chapel Hill||919.969.9877|
|Fearrington Self Storage||Between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro off of 15-501||919.929.1133|
|Hillsborough Self Storage||Hillsborough||919.644.6776|
|Lawton Storage||Old Greensboro Road in Chapel Hill||919.929.9057|
|Life Storage||Hillsborough Road in Durham||919.382.0511|
|M & R Storage||15-501 Hwy near Pittsboro||919.968.8705|
|Rutledge Mini Storage||1904 Aiken Ave in Durham||919.688.5036|
|Security Self Storage||1601 E. Greer Street in Durham||866.357.4062|
|Starpoint||Smith Level Road at 15-501||919.942.6666|
|Stow A Way Mini Storage||Chapel Hill Blvd in Durham||919.489.8972|
|Surety Storage||Highway 86 towards Hillsborough||919.942.2822|
|Village Self Storage||South Greensboro Street in Carrboro||919.942.7725|
|West's Durham Transfer
|United Drive in Durham||919.929.8629|
|Westview Self Storage||Hillsborough Road in Durham||919.383.4321|