Room Safety and Security

Room Safety and Security

Safety and security is a vital component of Carolina Housing's goal of creating a positive living experience for all residents. Stay up-to-date on the latest safety information as it pertains to your room.

Co-Ed Accommodations

Halls and apartment buildings designated as "Co-Ed" are divided in such a way that each of the bathroom/showering areas in the building will be intended for residents of the same gender.

For example, a suite of 8 students (4 bedrooms) has a private bathroom with shower, so all 4 rooms would be occupied by students of the same gender.  The suite next door has its own bathroom/shower, so the gender of the students in that suite is not dependent on the gender of the students in the neighboring suite.

For hall style buildings where the bathroom/shower area is shared by all residents on that floor, all residents on the same floor would be of the same gender, while the floors above or below may house students of the opposite gender.  Occasionally halls are divided by a lobby and there are bathroom facilities in each wing of the hall, in which case the gender is specific to the wing instead of the entire hall.

Apartment units will always be assigned to students of the same gender, regardless of the number of bedrooms or bathrooms in the apartment floor plan.

Personal Property (Renter's) Insurance

The University does not insure student belongings and is not liable for loss or damage. Students are encouraged to check with their family’s insurance provider to determine how their homeowner’s/apartment dweller’s policy might cover their personal property. If this coverage is not provided, students may wish to consider obtaining personal renter’s insurance.

What is renter’s insurance?

Renter’s insurance is insurance that pays for your or others’ personal property if it is damaged or stolen. Renter’s insurance can cover losses due to theft, vandalism, damage from explosions, water damage, fire and smoke damage, and much more whether you are at fault or not.

Doesn’t the University have insurance for residence halls and campus apartments?

Yes. The University does have insurance for our facilities and it covers damage to the building, but it does not insure your personal belongings and damage to others' property if you are found liable for the damages.

I don’t own very much.

Most people think they don’t own enough or what they do own isn’t valuable enough to insure. Once you take an inventory of your personal property, you may be surprised by the value of your possessions. Take a look at your inventory and ask yourself, “Can I afford to replace all of these things if they are stolen or destroyed? Would I also be able to replace my neighbor’s and the University’s property if I am found liable for the damage?"

How much does it cost?

Prices vary by provider and all the factors listed above will affect the cost, but a ballpark price for $50,000 of coverage is around $7-10 per month. Most insurance companies have a number of options for property and liability coverage allowing you to select the policy that fits your needs and your budget. Be sure to ask your insurance agent for complete details about:

  • Contents coverage
  • Replacement value coverage
  • Living expense coverage
  • Liability and theft
  • What is not covered
  • Deductibles and payment options
  • Discounts for multiple policies and safety equipment including controlled-access buildings, fire or smoke alarms, fire extinguisher and sprinkler.

Article at regarding renter's insurance

Asbestos Safety Information

From: Director of the UNC Department of Environment, Health, and Safety
Original Posting Date: August 1, 2009
Last Revised Date: October 5, 2015
Subject: Asbestos in Residence Halls

As a resident of UNC’s Campus Housing Community, we are informing you of the presence of asbestos-containing materials (ACM) in residence halls and campus buildings. As long as the building materials are in good condition, they do not present a health risk to residents.

Materials containing asbestos may include flooring, ceilings, walls, thermal system insulation on pipes and tanks and miscellaneous items. (Asbestos fibers have been used —and continue to be used— in a wide range of manufactured goods, including roofing shingles, ceiling and floor tiles, paper and cement products, textiles, coatings, and friction products such as automobile clutch, brake and transmission parts.)

Unsampled materials in buildings built prior to 1981 are presumed to contain asbestos unless sampling and analysis indicates otherwise. UNC maintains asbestos-containing building materials so they do not crumble and release fibers into the air. If you notice any damaged building materials within your room (or in any area), please contact your Community Director’s Office. Any damaged building material will be repaired immediately.

We ask that you:

  • Avoid scraping or damaging ceilings, walls or pipes.
  • Do not tape, tack, or glue any posters, papers, pictures, or other items to the ceilings or walls. (Alternatively, you may use 3M Scotch Adhesive Putty to attach posters to walls.)
  • Abide by the loft policy and make sure that your loft is no closer than three (3) feet from the ceiling.

UNC has an asbestos control policy and program to manage asbestos on campus. The University has a staff of accredited professionals at the Department of Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) who conduct building inspections, coordinate and supervise asbestos related construction activities, perform air monitoring and provide employee training. To review a copy of the policy and control program, please use the following link: .

The table below lists the residence halls that have been identified as having surfacing materials containing asbestos. If you have further questions in reference to this information, you may direct them to your area office. If you would like to review building specific testing information, you may contact EHS (962-5507) to make an appointment to review the reports.


Residence Hall Asbestos Information
 Hinton James  Spray-applied ceiling material and elastomeric coating on the walls beneath the multiple layers of paint.
 Morrison  Elastomeric coating on the walls beneath the multiple layers of paint.
 Avery  Textured paint applied to the ceilings
 Parker  Textured paint applied to the ceilings
 Teague  Textured paint applied to the ceilings
 Grimes  Plaster material on the walls and ceilings
 Manly  Plaster material on the walls and ceilings

Bed Bug Awareness

Are bed bugs a problem at UNC?
No, bed bugs are not a problem at UNC. There has only been a single reported case in the past few years. However, as bed bugs are becoming increasingly present in the United States, Carolina Housing is committed to educating residents and training our staff for preparedness should an incident arise.

What are the health risks of bed bugs?
Bed bugs, like head lice, feed on the blood of humans and animals but do not transmit disease. Many people experience mild to severe allergic reactions to bed bug bites, with some bites leading to secondary infections of the skin.

Where do bed bugs come from?
Bed bugs typically travel with people, either in luggage (especially during international travel) or in furniture, mattresses, and clothing during relocation. Anyone can get bed bugs - they are not a result of poor hygiene or uncleanliness.  Bed bugs can travel between apartments/rooms either by direct transport by humans or through voids in the walls for heat, plumbing and electrical services shared between units.

What do bed bugs look like?
Bed bugs are small, reddish-brown, flat, oval-shaped insects that can measure from 1 to 7 millimeters in length and are visible to the naked eye. They are experts at hiding, and they can live for several days without a blood meal, so you may not see them during daylight hours unless you conduct a thorough inspection.

How can I tell if I have bed bugs?

  • Bed bugs tend to cluster together in places such as mattress seams, box springs, bed frames, crevices and piping on pillows or upholstery, in clutter near the bed, and in the crevices of luggage. They also can be found in sofas, chairs, and tables, particularly in used furniture.
  • Other evidence of bed bugs include exoskeletons left behind after molting; a sweet, musty, almond-like odor; or rusty-colored excrement spots.
  • Bite marks are another indicator, though the marks’ similarity to that of a mosquito or flea – a slightly swollen and red area that may itch and be irritating – makes them tricky to identify.

What should I do if I think I see bed bugs?

  • If you have bite marks or symptoms of an allergic reaction that you think might be related to bed bugs, visit Campus Health Services.
  • To report bed bugs in your room or apartment, contact Housing Support through Fix My Room
  • Baity Hill residents should report bed bugs to the Baity Hill Office at 919-843-8831.

How are bed bugs treated?
Treatment requires laundering all fabric items in hot water and drying at high heat, discarding the contaminated mattress and upholstered furniture, and administering a thorough pesticide treatment by a pest management professional.
How can I prevent bed bugs?

  • Inspect your room/apartment once a month and report any signs of bed bugs to authorities. Early, small infestations are much easier to treat than large ones.
  • Inspect for signs of bed bugs when traveling.
  • Separate any luggage and clothing that may have been exposed to bed bugs during travel and seal items in plastic bags until further inspection and decontamination.
  • Seal mattresses and box springs with a hypo-allergenic zippered encasement.
  • Avoid used upholstered furniture and mattresses, especially discarded furniture and mattresses.

Where I can read more about bed bugs?

Limited Building Access

All campus residence halls are on a 24-hour limited access policy. This means that all exterior doors are locked 24 hours a day. Residents' room keys or Flexpass access exterior doors in the building in which they reside.

In multi-building communities, residents' keys will access other buildings in the same community where community services are located (i.e., laundry, community desk, etc.).

Residents are strongly urged to carry their keys at all times and to lock their doors when they are not in the room.

Use of Power Strips

Power strips can be damaged by overloading, overheating, or by being pinched/crimped by furniture and doors.  While the damage can be internal and not visible to the eye, it can potentially lead to dangerous cord fires. 

In addition to surge protection, some power strips have a built in sensor and electronics to detect damage and prevent a cord fire from occurring by automatically disconnecting the power supply before a problem can occur. 

It is highly recommended that students purchase power strips that have both surge protection and cord fire protection in order to insure maximum safety.  This style of power strip can be purchased at UNC Student Stores.

The safety of our residents is always a major priority.  The University continues to make every effort to protect our students from the risk of fire and personal property damage.

Hall Safety Measures

Find out about our safety measures in the halls, communities, and across campus here