Following Chancellor Guskiewicz’s announcement on May 21 regarding the Roadmap for Fall 2020 Semester with an early start date of Aug. 10, we wanted to provide you with some quick Housing updates now as we prepare to follow up soon with more specific details. As always, if you have any questions or need further clarifications, the best way to reach us is via email at: email@example.com.
Housing Assignment Timeline
First year students have not been assigned as of yet. For those of you without a housing assignment, the following are the target dates by which assignments information will be distributed:
- Main campus returning students by June 12, 2020
- All Granville Towers students by June 15, 2020
- Main campus First-Year students by June 19, 2020
- Main campus transfer students by June 26, 2020
Housing Contract Cancellations
- Carolina Away – As outlined in the Chancellor’s message, up to 1,000 new students who are unable to begin residential learning and living in August may participate in a new experience called Carolina Away.
- First-Year Students selected to participate in this program will be granted a waiver to the First-Year Residency Requirement and there will be no cancellation fee or penalty for housing contract cancellation. If you have decided to pursue this option, we ask that you let us know as soon as possible by signing into MyHousingPortal and clicking on the “Online Forms/Resources” tab to access online forms where you can find the First-Year Residency Waiver Request form.
- Other New Students selected to participate in this program will have their housing contracts cancelled with no cancellation fee or penalty. If you have decided to pursue this option, we ask that you let us know as soon as possible by signing into MyHousingPortal and clicking on the “Online Forms/Resources” tab to access online forms where you can find the Housing Cancellation Request form.
- Once Carolina Housing receives confirmation that a student has been selected to participate, the waiver will be granted and/or the housing contract will be canceled without penalty.
- Returning Students – We recognize that some returning students may decide to take a Remote Learning option for all classes during the Fall 2020 semester. For students electing this option, there will be no cancellation fee or penalty for housing contract cancellation.
- Main Campus Residents: If you have decided to pursue this option, we ask that you let us know as soon as possible by signing into MyHousingPortal and clicking on the “Online Forms/Resources” tab to access online forms where you can find the Housing Cancellation Request form.
- Granville Towers Residents: If you have decided to pursue this option, please email your cancellation request to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “lease cancellation”.
The housing contract will be canceled immediately without penalty, however the penalty may be reinstated if Carolina Housing receives confirmation that a student has elected for on-campus instruction.
Students with a Chronic or Severe Medical Conditions Accommodations Request
Please visit this page to review the steps necessary in submitting a request with the Office of Accessibility Resources and Service.
Future Residents with Assignments in Parker or Craige North
- Parker and Craige North Residence Halls are being designated as temporary housing for residential students who require quarantine and/or isolation.
- Those with an assignment to live in either of these two buildings for the 2020-21 academic year will be reassigned to a different on-campus residence.
- These students have been notified of this change and more information will be communicated soon.
Current Students Living On Campus for Summer 2020
- In light of the early start to the semester, those currently living on campus will receive additional information in the coming days.
Move-In Dates and Process
- Unlike previous years, we will have a general move-in for all students the week of Aug. 3 – Aug. 9, 2020
- Move-in will be by appointment only so as to allow for optimal Physical Distancing throughout the process. The opportunity to schedule your move-in appointment will begin in mid-June.
- Coming Soon…. Your 2020-21 Move-In Guide brochure containing more detailed information about the following topics (and much more) will be released digitally in mid-June (there will be different versions for main campus and Granville Towers):
- Instructions on how to make your appointment
- The modified Move-In process – to best promote Physical Distancing
- Anticipated COVID-19 modifications to living on campus – recommendations from UNC Environment, Health and Safety for common areas, lobbies, elevator use, bathrooms, etc.
- The “What to Bring” and “What Not to Bring” lists
We appreciate your cooperation as we work to keep our campus as safe and healthy as possible.
Carolina Housing & Granville Towers