Summer School Resident Advisor (RA)
The Summer School Resident Advisor (RA) is a live-in staff member assigned to work with a floor, wing or living unit or resident students during the summer semester. The RA position encompasses five major roles: community developer, counselor, helper, policy educator, and administrator. RAs work under the direction of a full-time professional Community Director (CD).
It is understood that a staff position in the residence halls cannot be easily translated in to hours worked per day or week because of the unique nature of the responsibilities and circumstances. The positions requires a genuine personal commitment, flexibility, and good understanding of the unpredictable nature of the actual time involved.
Carolina Housing provides Summer Resident Advisor (RA) a compensation package that includes:
- An hourly wage of $8.00 an hour paid on a biweekly schedule based on the number of hours worked at the community office captured in the Time Information Management (TIM) system. TIM training should be completed at the beginning of employment and hours worked should be recorded in the system each work day.
- $250 per session transferred to the RA’s OneCard convenience account. These funds can be used for meals and other items where the OneCard is accepted.
- A single occupancy, air-conditioned room at no cost.
Enrollment in up to six (6) credit hours each summer school session is permitted and no more than 10 hours of outside commitment or employment OR not be enrolled in any summer school classes and maintain no more than 20 hours outside commitment or employment. Outside commitments must be approved by supervising Community Director.
- Be a current or former RA at UNC Chapel Hill. No training for this role is provided so experience is REQUIRED. No exceptions will be made.
- Be enrolled as a full time student in the Fall of 2019. You do not have to be enrolled in a specific number of classes, nor are you required to be return to work for Carolina Housing for 2019-2020.
- Have a minimum 2.50 cumulative grade point average.
- Not have an outstanding balance with the Cashier’s Office and not be on active disciplinary probation or suspension with either the Dean of Students Office or Carolina Housing.
- **If you were recently hired for Fall 2018 as a new RA, you are not eligible for the summer position as you have not completed training.
- Not currently available. An email will be sent out to current staff when the application opens.
Application opens: March
Offers extended: April
Start date: early May
End date: late July/early August