Summer Orientation Advisor (SOA)
The Summer Orientation Advisor (SOA) position is employed by the Department of Housing and Residential Education. The SOA is the front line customer service representatives of the University to Orientation students and parents staying in campus housing. SOAs are assigned to an on-campus living area in Joyner residence hall.
The SOA and work under the direction of two Community Directors. The SOA assists with group check-ins and check-outs, works customer service shifts at the community office, assists with linen distribution and retrieval, and helps ensure that the facilities are in good order. The SOA is also on-call for Orientation students and parents regarding residence hall concerns.
SOA agrees to live “in residence” and work a minimum of 20-30 hours per week but will be available for up to 40 hours/week. Hours worked can occur anytime between 6:00am-10:00pm with assigned on call-duty rotations in the evenings. Weekend and evening hours do occur and SOAs will need to be available when the need arises.
Enrollment in up to four (4) credit hours each summer school session is permitted. Outside commitments must have the written approval of the supervising Community Directors.
- $2,000 stipend, paid out monthly.
- Single occupancy, air-conditioned room provided at no cost.
- The successful staff member will have a passion for working with a diverse population, possesses strong critical thinking and problem solving skills, demonstrates initiative, communicates effectively, has a positive attitude, and an ability to manage structured autonomy. Strong administrative skills are utilized in this position.
- Individual must be able to lift 40 pounds and engage in physically demanding activity when needed.
- The SOA agrees to attend all aspects of summer staff training.
- The SOA will be in good financial and disciplinary standing with the University. Good disciplinary standing is defined as not having an active sanction of contract probation or higher with the Department of Housing & Residential Education as well as having no active conduct record with the Dean of Students’ Office.
- Orientation Summer Assistants need to have previous work experience for the Department of Housing in any capacity prior to this summer position.
Apply at uncch.erezlife.com.
Application opens: February
Offers extended: April
Start date: late May
End date: early August