Summer Marketing Intern
Do you love UNC? Have you had a positive experience living in campus housing? Are you a talented writer that is savvy with social media and would enjoy capturing stories about residence life at UNC? If so, we'd love to hear from you!
The Department of Housing & Residential Education is hiring a Marketing Intern for the summer to write stories and create digital content for the Residence Life blog (reslife.web.unc.edu) that covers:
- Student perspectives about what living on campus is like.
- Student accounts of how getting involved in leadership opportunities has shaped their college experience.
- Programs and special events in the residence halls.
- Special recognition and accomplishments of "spotlight" residents or Housing student staff.
Your other responsibility will be to manage our social media community and run contests/promotions throughout the summer. You will generate, edit, publish and share daily content that builds meaningful connections and encourages the target market to take action. You will then capture and analyze the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices for each platform. In addition to managing social media, you will be asked to capture accompanying photos and/or work with the Video Production Intern to create multimedia content for your platforms. You will also work orientation events, take pictures, and participate in other hands-on experiences.
- Pitch and write blog stories about life in campus housing for a target audience of incoming first-year students.
- In addition to writing, you will photograph residence hall interiors, special events on campus and student staff.
- You will manage our social media community of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Pinterest.
- Finally, the marketing intern will represent the Department of Housing & Residential Education at orientation. This involves fielding questions from parents and students and providing advice about getting connected to campus through Housing.
To excel in the Marketing internship position, candidates should:
- Understand and be supportive of Housing’s overall mission.
- Be able to actively seek out and propose creative new story ideas.
- Be able to write in a succinct yet friendly, conversational voice without compromising proper grammar and spelling.
- Be very savvy and creative with social media.
- Produce approximately two blog posts per week (total of ~1,000 words).
- Be comfortable attending events across campus, soliciting interviews, fielding questions, and collaborating with other Housing staff members.
We encourage applications from any major, but you must have strong writing skills.
- Experience with digital photography and how to use a DSLR camera.
- A working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Any experience you have with social media strategy or building an online community for an organization.
Our internships are intended to be mutually beneficial – don't be shy about sharing what related talents you have and what experience you want to gain!
- You must work a minimum of 20 hours per week, but you can work up to 30 hours per week if desired.
- You must be available for 2-4 set office hours during the week, TBD by your summer schedule.
- The time you spend blogging is flexible. You will have office space in SASB North and will report to the Marketing Manager for Housing.
$8.50 per hour plus free housing in Ram Village for summer sessions I & II.
Nicole A. B. Edwards
Download the application form below. Keep the writing in your responses concise, and use this opportunity to demonstrate your ability to write in a conversational voice that would appeal to our readers. We consider 3-4 sentences per question to be a sufficient response.
Email the following items to Nicole Edwards at email@example.com:
1) Completed application form and any attachments. (Note that the application requires you to provide a writing sample.)
2) Current resume.
Position Opens: Early April
Application Deadline: Late April
Interviews Conducted: Early May