Summer Marketing Intern
Do you love UNC? Have you had a positive experience living in campus housing? Are you a talented writer who is savvy with social media and would enjoy capturing stories about residence life at UNC? If so, we'd love to hear from you!
Carolina Housing is hiring a Social Media Marketing Intern to create digital content for our social media platforms, including: Word Press, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Snapchat, and YouTube.
- You will be working with the Assistant Director of Marketing and the Web & Design Manager to develop and refine new marketing strategies and promotions.
- Your primary responsibility will be to managing our social media community and running contests/promotions throughout the academic year and writing blog posts about campus life.
- You will generate, edit, publish and share daily content that builds meaningful connections and encourages the target market to take action.
- You will then capture and analyze the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices for each platform. In addition to managing social media, you will be asked to capture accompanying photos and/or work with the Video Production Intern to create multimedia content for your platforms.
- You will provide general support to the marketing team as needed.
- You will represent Carolina Housing at each orientation and other events around campus. This involves fielding questions from parents and students and providing advice about connecting to campus through Carolina Housing.
To excel in the Marketing internship position, candidates should:
- Understand and be supportive of Carolina Housing’s overall mission.
- Actively seek out and propose creative new ways to engage the target market.
- Be able to write in a succinct yet friendly, conversational voice without compromising proper grammar and spelling.
- Be very savvy and creative with social media.
- Be comfortable attending events across campus, soliciting interviews, fielding questions, and collaborating with other Carolina Housing staff members.
- Complete BeAM Orientation and tool/equipment training sessions at the Makerspace in Carmichael residence hall to learn proper ways of using laser and vinyl cutters, 3D printers, etc.
- Produce approximately two blog posts per week (total of ~1,000 words).
- Be highly organized and a team player.
We encourage applications from any major, but you must have strong social media and writing skills, as well as being able to present material that highlights your interests and capabilities in marketing.
- Experience with digital photography and how to use a DSLR camera.
- A working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Any experience you have with social media strategy or building an online community for an organization.
Our internships are intended to be mutually beneficial – don't be shy about sharing what related talents you have and what experience you want to gain!
- You must work a minimum of 20 hours per week, but you can work up to 30 hours per week if desired. You may not exceed 30 hours per week.
- You must be available for 2-4 set office hours during the week, TBD by your summer schedule and the summer orientation schedule, as well as other events you must attend.
- The time you spend blogging and on social medial is flexible. You will have office space in SASB North and will report to the Assistant Director of Marketing at Carolina Housing.
$9.50 per hour plus free housing for both Summer Sessions I & II in North Campus. (Keep in mind that Summer Session II ends July 30 and you will need to find other accommodations, but you will remain working for Carolina Housing through the end of August).
Assistant Director of Marketing
Download the application form below. Keep the writing in your responses concise, and use this opportunity to demonstrate your ability to write in a conversational voice that would appeal to our readers. We consider 3-4 sentences per question to be a sufficient response.
Email the following items to Mariam Azzam at firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Current resume.
- Completed application form
- Attachments - writing sample
Position Open: April 3, 2019
Application Deadline: April 17 - midnight
Interviews Conducted: Week of April 29, 2019
Offer Notification: Week of May 6, 2019
Start Date: Week of May 13, 2019
End Date: Aug. 30, 2019