Social Media Marketing Intern
Do you love UNC? Have you had a positive experience living in campus housing? Are you a social media savvy person who would enjoy capturing stories about residence life at UNC? If so, we'd love to hear from you!
The Department of Housing & Residential Education is hiring a Social Media Marketing Intern to create digital content for our social media platforms, including: Word Press, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Snapchat, and YouTube.
You will be working with the Marketing Manager to develop and refine new marketing strategies and promotions. Your primary responsibility will be to managing our social media community and running contests/promotions throughout the academic year and writing blog posts about campus life. You will generate, edit, publish and share daily content that builds meaningful connections and encourages the target market to take action. You will then capture and analyze the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices for each platform. In addition to managing social media, you will be asked to capture accompanying photos and/or work with the Video Production Intern to create multimedia content for your platforms. Finally, you will provide general support to the marketing team as needed.
To excel in the internship position, candidates should:
- Understand and be supportive of Housing’s overall mission.
- Actively seek out and propose creative new ways to engage the target market.
- Be able to write in a succinct yet friendly, conversational voice without compromising proper grammar and spelling.
- Be comfortable attending events across campus, soliciting interviews, and building relationships with residential community staff.
- Be highly organized and a team player.
We encourage applications from any major, but you must have strong social media and writing skills, as well as showcasing your interests and capabilities in marketing.
- Experience with digital photography and how to use a DSLR camera.
- A working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Any experience you have with social media strategy or building an online community for an organization.
A minimum 10 hour commitment per week is required, with some evening work included. You should produce approximately 8-10 Facebook posts, 25 Twitter posts, 20 Pinterest posts, and 3-5 Instagram posts per week, as well as YouTube posts as needed. The time you spend writing/editing is flexible and can be scheduled around your classes. You will have office space in SASB North and will report to the Marketing Manager.
You MUST be available for the Explore Carolina events in the afternoons on Saturday, March 3, Saturday, March 24, and Sunday, April 15, as well as for weekly staff meetings, time TBD.
$8.50 per hour
Nicole A. B. Edwards
Download the application form below. Keep the writing in your responses concise, and use this opportunity to demonstrate your ability to write in a conversational voice that would appeal to our readers. We consider 3-4 sentences per question to be a sufficient response.
Email the following items to Nicole A. B. Edwards at email@example.com:
1) Completed application form and any attachments. Note that the application requires you to provide a writing sample.
2) Current resume.