Office Assistants (OAs) work to create an inclusive on-campus housing environment that promotes personal development, citizenship, involvement, and leadership through the practice of Community Immersion. OAs serve as a resource for students in their community and as a role model at UNC Chapel Hill. OAs are assigned to traditional residence halls, suite style complexes or apartment buildings and are supervised by the Community Director (CD) and the Community Manager (CM).
Hours of work vary based on the need of the department and community (ex: Halloween, popular sporting events, inclement weather, training, opening, closing, staff selection, unforeseen circumstances, etc.) and includes some evenings and weekends. After providing a schedule of availability, a supervisor will determine the specific work schedule. All leave time must be approved by their supervisor. OAs are required to attend all training activities while employed. OAs are expected to work all residence hall openings and closings, including Fall semester, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Semester, Spring Break and Spring Semester/Commencement closing.
- Students employed by Carolina Housing must be enrolled as full-time students, will not be employed on a permanent full-time basis, and will not occupy a classified position. Student staff is “at will” and not eligible for layoff priority employment or severance pay and may be terminated at any time without additional compensation. A lapse in student status occurs during breaks (winter and summer) when an employee is not enrolled in courses. A lapse resulting from course scheduling does not affect employment eligibility, though it will subject the employee to FICA tax deductions. State policy requires temporary staff employees to be at least 18 years of age, and State law requires the University to have these individuals indicate their compliance with the Federal Military Selective Service Act.
- All employees must maintain good financial, disciplinary, and academic standings with the University.
- All employees must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher at the time of appointment and throughout employment and be in good disciplinary standings with Carolina Housing. Good disciplinary standing with Carolina Housing means having neither an active sanction of judicial probation or higher with Carolina Housing.
- Each OA should strive to maintain a balance not only with the role but with their personal and academic lives. OAs are encouraged to take part in their own development to ensure they are getting the most from the experience. OAs can work up to 25 hours per week and should not exceed 30 hours per week at any time. These work hours include any employment outside of the department within the University.
Carolina Housing provides Office Assistants (OAs) a compensation package that includes:
- An hourly wage of $8.00 an hour paid on a biweekly schedule based on the number of hours worked captured in the Time Information Management (TIM) system. TIM training should be completed at the beginning of employment and hours worked should be recorded in the system each work day.
* Carolina Housing encourages applicants and employees to consider if this compensation package will affect their financial aid package. Please contact Scholarships and Student Aid, 919-962-8396 for information on eligibility for aid and employment.
This link will take you to the application website where you will need to web authenticate using your Onyen and password. Once you have logged in, you will see the landing page. It will be blank as there will be no “action items” for you to complete until you begin the application. Navigate to the left hand side of the screen and select “job profile” to begin the process and create your profile. Once created you can access the “job postings” and apply for the open position. You will receive a confirmation email once you submit a completed application with any follow up steps you need to be aware of. In future visits to the site, any action items that you need to do to complete the phase of the process will be visible on the home page.
The OA application opens at various times throughout the year depending on staffing needs. We will fill our staff for the Fall with candidates from the first round of applicants at the beginning of the semester; if there are any vacancies at different points in the year, we will open up the application again. Applications will be accepted and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.