File 2593

Need to know more about the room you'll call home this year? Looking for answers about daily life as a resident? From mail to laundry, from furniture to internet, this glossary covers many of the frequent questions students ask as they prepare to move into/out of campus housing for the academic year.

sort icon
Visitation Policy

The Visitation/Guest Policy is a shared responsibility between the residents of a community and community staff. Students agree to these policies when they agree to the Housing Contract and the accompanying Community Living Standards. Students are encouraged to notify their RA or Community Director of potential violations of this policy in a timely manner.

Unclaimed Property

Any personal property, such as bicycles, refrigerators, chairs, desks, clothes and televisions left or abandoned by a resident or his/her guest inside a residence hall (including common areas), unless claimed within 30 days, shall be deemed the property of the University. The University may use, dispose of or sell the personal property after no claim has been made for it within 30 days. The resident agrees to absolve and hold the University harmless for any damage or claim for the unclaimed property due to the damage, destruction, disposal or sale of such personal property.

Tours of the Model Suite

Curious about what rooms look like at UNC? Make sure you stop by our model residence hall suite to take a tour and see!

Craige Residence Hall

Summer Hours 
Monday - Friday, 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Storage Services

At this time the Department of Housing and Residential Education does not offer on-campus storage options for personal belongings or furniture. However, the Residence Hall Association, the student housing organization on campus, offers a moving and storing service through Campus Carriers. Find out more information on RHA's website. There is also a variety of convenient storage options available including off-site storage, services that pick-up and deliver, and even services that will pack and ship.

There are bulletin boards in the residential halls, Campus Y and the Carolina Union where students post messages for sharing expenses associated with storage facilities. Read more...


Every residence hall room has a blue recycling tote for students to collect all recyclable materials including newspapers and magazines, bottles and cans, and mixed paper. Material collected in the tote can be taken to the nearest Outdoor Site (blue carts located behind most campus buildings including residence halls) and separated into the appropriate roll carts.

Also, the front office of every residential community has recycling bins for batteries, printer cartridges and compact fluorescent bulbs. For assistance with safe, proper cleanup of broken compact fluorescent bulbs, please contact Fix My Room. You may also find instructions for safe cleanup at:


Power Strips

Power strips can be damaged by overloading, overheating, or by being pinched/crimped by furniture and doors.  While the damage can be internal and not visible to the eye, it can potentially lead to dangerous cord fires.  



The following halls on campus have pianos located in public lounges or common areas:


Personal Property (Renter's) Insurance

The University does not insure student belongings and is not liable for loss or damage. Students are encouraged to check with their family’s insurance provider to determine how their homeowner’s/apartment dweller’s policy might cover their personal property. If this coverage is not provided, students may wish to consider obtaining personal renter’s insurance.

What is renter’s insurance?

Renter’s insurance is insurance that pays for your or others’ personal property if it is damaged or stolen. Renter’s insurance can cover losses due to theft, vandalism, damage from explosions, water damage, fire and smoke damage, and much more whether you are at fault or not.

Doesn’t the University have insurance for residence halls and campus apartments?

Yes. The University does have insurance for our facilities and it covers damage to the building, but it does not insure your personal belongings and damage to others' property if you are found liable for the damages.



First-year students are prohibited from parking motor vehicles on campus unless exceptional circumstances warrant it. Parking for students and employees of the University requires a permit from the Department of Public Safety. Permits must be prominently displayed in your car, and cost varies depending on location. For detailed student parking regulations, maps and further information, please visit

Package Pick-Up

Packages and Accountable Mail (any mail that must be signed for upon delivery) are not placed in the students' mailboxes. Packages must be picked up at the package center designated for your building.



All furnished residence halls and apartments on campus are outfitted with mattresses that meet the following specifications:

  • 36” x 6” x 80”
  • Grey Vinyl
  • Non-Allergenic
  • Anti-Bacterial
Maintenance, Repairs, and Pest Control

Fix My Room

You have three options for ways to report maintenance, housekeeping, furnishings or pest control problems with your room (or building) 24 hours a day:

Mail Service

Residents can expect mail delivery in the evenings, Monday through Saturday. Mail is not delivered on Sundays, holidays or during break periods.

Note that you will need to change your address with your important places of business each academic year (and for the summer if you attend Summer School.)

Mail will be placed directly in your mailbox in your residence hall or designated mailroom (one mailbox per room). Your room key will open your mailbox.


Mail Forwarding

Please note that mail service for campus residents ends at the close of the academic year.   Read more...

Mail and Packages: Frequently Asked Questions

How do I address letters and packages going to my campus address?

To ensure delivery of mail, always use the exact address format listed below and always include the student's full name. Regardless of the type of mail (overnight, packages or letter mail) or the delivery carrier (UPS, FedEx, Post Office, etc.) that students receive, the address format is the same. Always address mail to the student's current building and room number. Do not address mail to the Package Centers. Please verify the student’s current street address & room number before sending any mail.  Mail must be correctly addressed to be delivered to the recipient.

All mail must be addressed using this format:

Student's Full Name  (as it appears on your student account)


Jane Q. Doe (or John Q. Doe)
Street Address and Room Number
Chapel Hill, NC 27514



All residence halls have some type of lounge and/or recreational facilities that are typically furnished with couches, chairs, tables, and televisions.  Residents and hall staff frequently use these areas for meetings, programs, studying and socializing. Read more...

Lofting & Bunking Instructions
  • Hardware: Bed pins are provided in the room when you arrive. No other hardware is needed. 
  • Tools: A rubber mallet is the only tool you will need. The pins can be difficult to insert by hand, so we highly recommend bringing a rubber mallet to make your life easier.
  • All beds should come equipped with loft safety rails. If for some reason you do not have safety rails in your room, they are available by request through Fix My Room.
  • Assembly: see diagram below
Lofted Bed Measurements

Limited Access

All campus residence halls are on a 24-hour limited access policy. This means that all exterior doors are locked 24 hours a day. Residents' room keys or Flexpass access exterior doors in the building in which they reside.

In multi-building communities, residents' keys will access other buildings in the same community where community services are located (i.e., laundry, community desk, etc.).  Read more...

Laundry Facilities

For your convenience, OneCard-operated laundries are located in every residential community. In communities with multiple buildings such as Lower Quad and Upper Quad, your laundry room may be in a neighboring building.

Machines accept OneCard Expense Account funds. The machines do NOT accept quarters, cash or personal debit/credit cards. It costs $1.00 to wash and $0.50 per dry cycle (two dry cycles are typically needed).

From the OneCard CaroLaundry website, you can see which machines are available, put a 5-minute hold on a machine and set up email/text notifications to let you know when you laundry cycle is done. You can even notify the last user that their clothes are ready!



Each residence hall has at least one community kitchen equipped with an electric range, microwave, sink and food preparation area.  Residents use their own cooking utensils in these kitchens and are responsible for keeping these areas clean after use. Read more...

Internet Access

Getting Connected

The instructions for connecting to the campus network can be found at The ResNET staff living in your community can also help you connect to the internet. See below for details about how to request technical support. 

Wireless Internet

Wireless network access (Wi-Fi) is available in all residence halls. 


Furniture: Movable Furniture
  • 5-Drawer Dresser: 20" deep x 32" wide x 48" high
  • Desk: 24" deep x 42" wide x 30" high
  • Wardrobe (only in rooms with no closet): 24" deep x 36" wide x 75" high.

All rooms on campus listed as having MOVABLE furniture are furnished  with the same brand and model of furniture as show here. (With a small number of exceptions in the Connor Community.)


Furniture: Built-In Units

Built-In diagram and measurements shown here apply to the following halls:

  •     Hinton James
  •     Craige
  •     Ehringhaus

The Enhancements system is managed by the Residence Hall Association (RHA) to provide useful items to residents that enhance their on-campus living experience. Enhancements can vary from movies, cookware, sporting goods, housekeeping items, board games, video game systems, pool and ping pong tables to picnic tables and grills. Currently there are over 4,000 items in the enhancement system throughout campus. Find out more here:


Residents are not permitted to paint their rooms. Charges will be assessed to the student's account at the end of the year if damage to walls exceeds ordinary wear and tear. Read more...

Co-Ed Accommodations

Halls and apartment buildings designated as "Co-Ed" are divided in such a way that each of the bathroom/showering areas in the building will be intended for residents of the same gender. 

For example, a suite of 8 students (4 bedrooms) has a private bathroom with shower, so all 4 rooms would be occupied by students of the same gender.  The suite next door has its own bathroom/shower, so the gender of the students in that suite is not dependent on the gender of the students in the neighboring suite.

Check-Out Procedures

As residents vacate their room either at the end of the academic year or based on a contract cancellation, proper checkout procedures must be completed to avoid additional charges.

Residents who do not complete checkout procedures at their Community Office may continue to be held responsible for all room charges until their checkout date is officially recorded by residence hall staff.

Cable Television

All residence hall rooms and apartments are equipped with free digital cable television.  There is (1) HD-CATV connection per room or apartment. Customers need an HDTV with a QAM-capable tuner to view all of the digital and HD channels.

To report television outages or request assistance with your cable service, contact ResNET.


Bed Safety Rails

Since we cannot anticipate whether or not students will want to bunk or loft their bed, bed safety rails are included in every room, for every bed. If you opt not to install the bed safety rail, you must find a place to store it in your room. Please do not call to request pickup or storage of your safety rail.

Below are the bed safety rail installation instructions for all communities except Parker*. Read more...

Bed Bug Awareness

Are bed bugs a problem at UNC?
No, bed bugs are not a problem at UNC. There has only been a single reported case in the past few years. However, as bed bugs are becoming increasingly present in the United States, the Department of Housing & Residential Education is committed to educating residents and training our staff for preparedness should an incident arise.

Asbestos Safety Information

From: Director of the UNC Department of Environment, Health, and Safety
Original Posting Date: August 1, 2009
Last Revised Date: October 5, 2015
Subject: Asbestos in Residence Halls

As a resident of UNC’s Campus Housing Community, we are informing you of the presence of asbestos-containing materials (ACM) in residence halls and campus buildings. As long as the building materials are in good condition, they do not present a health risk to residents. Read more...

Approved and Not Approved Items
  • Residence halls must comply with university policy, which restricts each individual residence hall room to 1800 watts usage at any time.
  • No single appliance can exceed 1000 watts of usage or have an exposed heating element.
  • Halogen lamps and multi-bulb light fixtures (ie, "octopus" or "spider" lamps) are expressly forbidden in the residence halls.
  • We recommend power strips with both surge protection AND cord fire protection.

If you have questions about a specific appliance, please contact your Community Director or email us with you Read more...

Apartment/Room Condition Form & Damage Charges

Each resident of a room must submit an online Apartment/Room Condition Form (A/RCF) to document any problems with the condition of the room when it is initially occupied.

Upon check-in, you will receive a reminder email with instructions and a link to to complete the form. Upon successfully submitting the form, a confirmation copy will be emailed to you for your records.

Residents will be held responsible for any damage to their room that is found when they move out unless: