- Future Residents
- Current Residents
- Residence Halls
- Residence Life
Power strips can be damaged by overloading, overheating, or by being pinched/crimped by furniture and doors. While the damage can be internal and not visible to the eye, it can potentially lead to dangerous cord fires.
In addition to surge protection, some power strips have a built in sensor and electronics to detect damage and prevent a cord fire from occurring by automatically disconnecting the power supply before a problem can occur.
It is highly recommended that students purchase power strips that have both surge protection and cord fire protection in order to insure maximum safety. This style of power strip can be purchased at UNC Student Stores.
The safety of our residents is always a major priority. The University continues to make every effort to protect our students from the risk of fire and personal property damage.