Chronic or Severe Medical Condition Accommodations Request

Individual housing accommodations area determined on a case-by-case basis and are limited by room space availability. Students requiring housing accommodations in relation to a  disability medical condition , or psychological need should complete the Self-Identification form through the Office of Accessibility Resources & Service Office (ARS). All requests are reviewed individually by the Accommodations and Modifications Committee, an inter disciplinary team of campus partners, to determine the accommodations that best meets the needs of the student. University Housing takes these concerns very seriously and confidentiality will be maintained. A submitted request typically takes 1-2 weeks for review, and additional documentation/information may be requested. 

The information you provide will only be shared with other relevant staff in a discreet and confidential manner as required by law. This information will have no bearing on your general eligibility for housing. Also, please note that submitting the Self-Identification Form is not a guarantee that you will receive the requested accommodations.

Students with disabilities or medical conditions are assigned roommates in the same manner as other housing applicants unless the need for a single room is identifies as a reasonable accommodation or medical necessity and one is available at the time their application is processed.

*Space availability may be limited for students who petition for housing accommodations. It is recommended that students submit their request as soon as possible to ensure a proper room accommodation.

We are able to facilitate a range of accommodations including, but not limited to:

To assist residents who have food allergies

Whenever possible, Carolina Dining Services works to accommodate residents' needs in the dining halls. If you have a food allergy or require a special diet, Carolina Dining Services' registered dietitian can provide the resources and information to make healthy food choices. Foods served in the dining halls that contain potential allergens are labeled accordingly, and ingredient information is available upon request. Carolina Dining Services can be reached by completing their Contact Us form at or their registered dietician at (919) 830-8675.

For students with severe food allergies, Housing staff will work to assign students to a space with limited shared common areas. This is done to limit the chances a student can become exposed to possible food allergens. 

To assist residents who are hard of hearing or Deaf  
A number of rooms in the residence halls and apartments have strobe light fire and smoke detector alarms. Residence hall corridor bathrooms adjacent to these rooms have visual fire alarms.

To assist residents with mobility limitations
A number of rooms and bathrooms in the residence halls and apartments accommodate residents using wheelchairs, power chairs, scooters and other mobility devices.

To assist residents with personal care needs
University Housing works with students who require personal care attendants. It is solely the student's responsibility to identify and employ a personal care attendant. Proper planning and early notification are crucial to successful on-campus living. It is important that you make note of your intended use of a personal care attendant on the Self-Identification Form.

To determine if a personal care attendant will be needed, the student will need to assess their skills and abilities with their medical provider, vocational rehabilitation counselor or case manager. Personal care attendants assist individuals in completing daily living tasks such as grooming, personal hygiene, preparing meals, monitoring medication, maintenance of personal living environment, lifting, turning positioning and transporting/escorting. The cost and maintenance of services for a personal care attendant are the responsibility of the student. Verification of a background check must be provided either by an agency or by the student employing the personal care attendant. Where this is not possible, please contact Housing at UNC Chapel Hill does not endorse specific health care providers.

To assist residents with a visual impairment or who are blind
In order to determine the optimal campus location that can best accommodate your needs, please talk with us before you submit your Housing application.

To assist residents with a temporary medical condition
Students with a temporary medical condition that affects their mobility can contact the Housing Assignment Office to discuss room reassignment options by calling (919) 962-5401.

To assist residents who suffer from airborne allergens
All of the residence halls on campus are equipped with air conditioning. 

To assist residents who have mental health difficulties
University Housing will review any medical request to determine a housing accommodation that meets the specific resident’s needs.

To assist residents seeking approval for an Emotional Support Animal
Please visit the following policy for additional information and contact Accessibility Resources & Service at

To assist residents who have service animals

Service animals are permitted in University Housing as compliant with state and federal laws regarding accessibility. You are responsible for your animal’s care and cleanliness. Any damages, beyond normal wear and tear, caused to the room by your service animal will be the residents responsibility.