Non-Disciplinary Termination of Housing Contract

Housing Contracts are issued for the entire academic year (fall and spring semesters) for students entering in the fall.  Students entering in the spring semester are issued contracts for the spring semester only.  Residents may not cancel their residence hall contract to move to another facility not operated by Housing and Residential Education, such as private off-campus housing, or fraternity or sorority.

The University may terminate the contract on non-disciplinary grounds when a student:

  • signs a contract in advance of enrollment and then becomes ineligible to enroll, or does not enroll in the University;
  • withdraws from the University or otherwise becomes ineligible to live on campus before the contract expires;
  • has documented health or psychological reasons or change in financial circumstances that necessitate the termination of the contract; or
  • leaves Chapel Hill during the term of the contract to pursue a study abroad program or off-campus internship.

Students whose contracts are terminated on grounds described above will have 2 days (or a specified date and time set by the Housing hearing officer)  to vacate the premises after notification of contract termination is provided in writing.  Terminations initiated by residents even for these reasons are not automatic and require that the process below is followed. 

The University and the student may terminate the contract by mutual agreement for compelling extenuating circumstances. All requests to cancel contracts must be submitted in writing. The Director of Housing and Residential Education or designee must approve all requests for cancellation in writing. No other member of the housing staff may cancel a contract, and Housing and Residential Education will not be liable for promises or actions of any non-authorized staff member regarding contract regulations.

Reasons that may support a contract cancellation generally fall under three categories:  medical circumstances; financial hardship not present or known at the time of contract signing; and special or mitigating factors also not known at the time of contract signing.  In presenting these circumstances, residents must make a reasonable case that their concerns cannot be alleviated by relocating to other residence hall accommodations.

The contract is also cancelled when a resident withdraws from the University.  However, residents withdrawing from the University must follow the separate withdrawal procedures of their school or college and submit a request for contract cancellation to Housing and Residential Education.  The resident is responsible for all room charges according to the published contract cancellation charges until the date of checkout, regardless of the date of withdrawal from the University.