Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
NOTE*: If you are an exchange student that will be leaving or a graduate student that will be graduating in May 2016, please disregard this information.
How do I qualify?
- You must be a full-time graduate or undergraduate student with a family to live at the Baity Hill/Mason Farm community.
How does the application process work?
- You will need to submit an on-line application. You must have valid Onyen and PID number to submit an application.
- You will also need to submit the required documents listed below:
- A photo id for all household members 18 years and older (i.e. driver’s license, passport, visa, military id or if a current student, student id.
- UNC acceptance letter or current class schedule.
- All documents must be professionally translated into English
- Once your application and documents have been received we will place you on the waitlist in the order the application was received.
How does the assignment process work?
- Baity Hill/Mason Farm, unlike other housing on campus, accepts applications continually. You may apply at any time; the earlier the better.
When do you begin to assign apartments to incoming students?
- We will begin assigning incoming students to available apartments as of April 1st.
Do you have the apartment type available around my preferred move-in date?
- Most apartments are available between June 15 – August 15, but we do have a limited number of 1BR/1BA and 2BR/1BA roommate apartments available for earlier move ins.
Is the apartment type I prefer available in my preferred building location?
- We have 1/BR/BA, 2BR/1BA roommate and 2BR/2BA roommate apartments in all buildings. 1BR/1BA & 2BR/2BA are usually filled quickly so you may have to choose apartment type over building location.
Is this apartment available on your preferred floor preference?
- Again, this is where you may have to choose which preference, location or floor is the most important.
How soon can I start having mail and packages delivered to my home?
- Once you have signed the lease, we will issue you your keys and you can move items in anytime you wish. Unfortunately, we cannot not allow items to be placed in the apartment without a signed lease.
While we may not have been able to meet all of your preferences, please know that we have the best intentions with your apartment assignment. We want your new apartment home at Baity Hill/Mason Farm to be a place that will allow you to flourish in the community and at UNC!
How does the application approval and issuance of lease process work?
- We will assign apartment based on an available apartment that best fits your preference(s).
- A confirmation letter of this assignment will be sent to you via the email address on the application. The confirmation letter will give you information regarding the specific apartment that has been assigned, lease start date, monthly rental rate and pro-rate amount, if applicable.
- Upon acceptance of the apartment, the lease will be prepared that will state your “Lease Start” and sent to you for review. Please sign and return all documents to our office ASAP.
- Once the lease has been signed by the student and returned to our office and the 1st months’ rent or pro-rate rent is paid, a move in appointment will be scheduled. If you are unable to make the scheduled appointment you must contact the management office immediately to reschedule your appointment.
- We do not do move ins on Saturdays or Sundays. Please make your appointment between the hours of 9:00am – 3:00pm Monday – Friday. A member of our staff will complete the move in orientation with the student (lease holder) which will take approximately 30 minutes. Upon completion of this appointment you will be issued keys. Only the student may sign the lease and be issued keys!
How long will my lease agreement be?
- Leases at Baity Hill/Mason Farm run from June 1st (or actual “Lease Start” date) through May 31st.
- The “Lease Start Date” is the date that your lease and rent will begin. The Move In date is the date that you actually complete your move in appointment and keys are issued.
- Once you have agreed to a “Lease Start” date, this is the date your lease will begin, even if you choose to move in at a later date. These dates may be the same or they may be different.
- Monthly rent due on the first of each month and late after the 5th day of the month.
- Subleasing is not permitted.
What is Baity Hill Student Family Housing and Mason Farm Graduate Housing?
- Baity Hill/Mason Farm is the on-campus apartment community for graduate students, married students and students with families.
Where is Baity Hill and Mason Farm?
- The Baity Hill/Mason Farm community is on Mason Farm Road, just off the US 15-501. It is near the Kenan-Flagler School of Business, UNC Memorial Hospital, and the Dean E. Smith Center (the “Dean Dome”).
Who can live at Baity Hill or Mason Farm?
- Any full-time graduate student, undergraduate or graduate who is either married or who is the custodial parent of a dependent child or graduate students with a family are eligible at Baity Hill and Mason Farm.
Is it true to utilities are included?
- Yes! Electricity, including heating and AC, water, basic cable TV service, local phone service, and high speed internet access are all included at no additional charge.
Does my apartment have washer and dryer hookups?
What if I don’t have my own washer and dryer?
- Each building features laundry facilities on the 2nd floor for residents without their own washer and dryer.
Does my apartment have a dishwasher?
- Yes. The kitchen also has a garbage disposal and sink spray nozzle.
Does my apartment have a refrigerator?
Is my apartment furnished?
- Apartments at Baity Hill/Mason Farm are unfurnished and allow you to bring your own personal furniture, just as off-campus apartment communities do. There are a limited number of furnished apartments at Mason Farm, but most are also unfurnished.
Where can grown-ups play?
- In addition to the recreational facilities on the UNC Campus, Baity Hill/Mason Farm has two basketball courts, walking paths, and a clubhouse.
Is my rent due monthly or per semester?
- Rent is monthly and due no later than the 5th of each month.
Do I pay rent to the Cashier’s Office or directly to Baity Hill at Mason Farm?
What happens if I pay my rent late?
- Failure to pay rent by the monthly due date will result in a $30.00 late fee. Continued failure to pay rent could result in eviction, as well as a hold on the student’s account.
Can my rent be deferred?
- Yes, depending on your individual financial aid situation. Consult the financial aid office for details regarding your award. Deferment requests can be made through the Baity Hill/Mason Farm office once you have your supporting documents.
If I graduate early or leave school, am I obligated to keep paying rent?
- No. Students who are no longer enrolled full-time at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill must vacate their apartments and, therefore, are not required to continue to pay rent.
Parking and Transportation
Where do I park?
- Covered parking is available underneath each building at Baity Hill/Mason Farm. Each apartment is guarnteed one parking space per apartment for an additional cost. Residents will need to obtain a parking permit from the Parking and Transportaiton Services Department. Roommates will only be given one (1) parking spot and are not eligible for additional parking spaces.
What bus routes serve Baity Hill and Mason Farm?
- The RU “Reverse Campus Shuttle”, N, and CM routes have several stops adjacent to Baity Hill/Mason Farm, offering convenient service almost every 15 minutes throughout the day. The U “Campus Shuttle” route is located across from the other Baity Hill stops and will run every 15 minutes throughout the day.
How do Baity Hill and Mason Farm keep my family safe?
- All apartment homes at Baity Hill/Mason Farm are accessed from a brightly lit, fully carpeted interior corridor. Only fellow residents and community staff have access to your building. Covered, well-lit parking has direct access to the building elevator. Baity Hill/Mason Farm is patrolled continuously by the University Police. Fire alarms, smoke detectors, and sprinkler systems are located in each apartment, as well as building common areas. Sidewalks adjacent to each building provide safe pedestrian access to campus and buses.
Contact and Directions
How can I see an apartment at Baity Hill or Mason Farm?
- Simply call (919) 843-8831 or stop by the Baity Hill/Mason Farm office. You can tour a model apartment home, as well as see your new home, provided that your unit is available anytime Monday-Friday 9:00AM-3:00PM.
Where is the community office?
- The Baity Hill/Mason Farm office is located in the Baity House, atop the hill of Baity Hill Drive
How do I get to Baity Hill and Mason Farm?
- From the North: Take US-15 501 south. After Manning Drive, turn right on Mason Farm Road. Turn right onto Baity Hill Drive. The office is atop the hill.
- From the South: Take US-15 501 north. Do a U-turn at Manning Drive. Turn left on Mason Farm Road. Turn left on Baity Hill Drive. The office is atop the hill.
- From Campus: Take Columbia Street / Pittsboro Street south past Manning Drive. Turn left on Mason Farm Road. Turn left on Baity Hill Drive.
- Via Campus Bus: Take the RU (“Reverse Campus Shuttle”) bus to the Family Practice parking lot off Manning Drive. Baity Hill at Mason Farm will be on your right at the top of the stairs.